Two astronomers. Separated by only 22 degrees, 58 minutes of latitude, 33 degrees, 29 minutes of longitude, yet seemingly worlds apart. Their common goal: figure out the very nature of the Universe and its womenfolk.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Life: Derailed

I come bearing humble apologies for the faithful 'mofos readership. My contributions have all but ceased of late, which I attribute, largely, to the utter derailment of my usual simplistic journey through life. I'll not dwell on why, but rather I shall - to coin a phrase once uttered by a good friend - "stop shitting myself and put on a clean pair of pants". In other words, start blogging again.

I'll start with a moan, it seems appropriate. The arrival of my Mac Pro has forced me to grow up and adopt IMAP email. Yes, all these years I've ploughed on with crappy old POP mail, downloading to my laptop and exposing my digital gonads to the steel-toe-capped boots of disc failure, laptop theft and spilled cups of tea. Well, that has to change - if I want syncronised email across my machines, IMAP it has to be.

Now, accumulating over two years' worth of mail on my iBook leaves me with a big, fat mailbox. Pushing 300Mb actually. This needs to be cleaned at some point, but right now I just want to make the switch and get sorted. So I started moving the mail to the appropriate space on the ITS machines (I'm one of those oddballs who didn't get Alan to forward my mail - having an entire ITS team with shiny machines to deal with my mail seemed smarter at the time than leaving it at the mercy of Alan and a Sun machine older than I am). Anyway, I ran out of space. 200Mb is all they give post-grads. Isn't storage ~ £1 per Gb these days? Woo! 20p of storage. So, I emailed ITS begging for another 100Mb for a few days, and what happens?

"You need to fill in a form"

Why the chuff is that? You know who I am, where I work, and what I want. Now go and sort it out. Anyway, I think this is likely to develop into a Crain vs. ITS saga, so watch this space.

Sorry for the rant. This'll cheer you up:





Finally, a sport for everyone.

4 Comments:

Blogger jps said...

you can't be dictated to by the man

4:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, does anyone else think that the man on the left of this photo lookds remarkably like Carlos?? Not that I was paying much attention to him...

9:11 AM

 
Blogger Rob said...

Hi Anonymous. I'm going to follow that link right now...I can't wait to make $900! OH HANG ON, I'm not actually a retard.

I'd love to get all of the world's spammers, put them in a pit, and drop a bunker-buster into it.

Jim2 - it did cross my mind, yes.

9:53 AM

 
Blogger CMB said...

Ahahaha I didn't even notice the man in that picture

10:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home